Friday, August 3, 2012

Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome, CRPS

Hello Tadpoles,
    I have a disorder or syndrome that is called Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome or CRPS. In 2008, I was working as a Certified Nurse Assistant when a 400 lb resident fell back in her bed pulling my left arm with her. I had to have 3 shoulder surgeries over a 9 month period. I have had numerous, X-rays, MRI's, Thoraic Outlet test, Nerve Studies, and CT scans. This drove me crazy....
   I developed extreme pain in my left shoulder, arm and hand. I do not have total function of my left hand along with numbness and tingling. My bicep swells to the size of a football and is extremely painful to touch or use. I deal with the pain daily. At one time, I was on some powerful narcotics, Opana, to relieve my pain. I do not remember 2 years of my life due to the medications
   I went into a severe depressive state because the Doctors told me that I would not be able to use that arm properly again. I was going back to college to get my Nursing Degree. That dream was crushed because I could not lift patients or complete my clinics. I developed severe anxiety due to being scared that people would hit my shoulder causing me to have to endure extreme pain. I have missed out on alot of things because I am to afraid to get hurt again.
   I got married on April 17, 2010. We went on a cruise in November. I was not able to fun because I was scared and under the influence of the medications. I felt bad because I did not send alot of time with my husband. So that added more stress on me.
    I finally was able to find a Pain Management Doctor who was able to give a name to what was wrong with me. She stated that I had Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome...What is that? That is what I said too. I had to go to the Internet and do some research. There is alot of different beliefs on causes for this syndrome. I was at a loss trying to let it all sink in.
   I will list all the symptoms and and treatments in the near future....Have a Great Day...


Chrisie



1 comment:

  1. Most people don't understand much about CRPS. Sharing your story will certainly help them gain some insight into what you're going through and the depth of pain involved.
    chronic arm pain

    ReplyDelete